Sunday, December 18, 2005

Ho... Ho... Ho...

I got me a Christmas present today... Courtesy of Ms Yeo soon to be Mrs Sim-Yeo.... Thanx babe! It is certainly a nice nice gesture....

Speaking of Christmas, I went to Paragon after attending 2 baby functions. Everyone seems to be having babies... Everyone except me that is..... sigh....

Anyway, MBB and I went to Paragon to get yet another gift for another couple friend who is celebrating the birth of their baby. While we were there, we were surrounded by a flurry of people, whom from the nature of the number of bags they are carrying, were doing their Christmas shopping. I thought this is what Christmas means to Singaporeans, a whole lot of shopping and claiming free gift wrap. As I watched these ladies with their Pradas and Guccis and La Pagayo clad kids and obvlivious husbands whose primary job was to whip out their....err.... credit cards and lend their John Hancocks, most had lists that they were busy checking off. Reminds me of a certain someone I know.....

It is sad that Christmas has become just another excuse for most Singaporeans to shop. Let me tell you, if one were to observe just Orchard Road, one would never imagine that Singapore was ever hit by any economic downturn or was just a few months earlier plagued by retrenchment and unemployment. Singaporeans just have to shop..... and as said earlier, Christmas has sadly become another justification.

After being overwhelmed by people, MBB and I seeked refuge at the Delifrance at the basement at Paragon. While munching on my deli potato, I noticed, behind it, was an area where a toy selling area had been set up. Manned by a few British ladies, they had some really interesting toys.... As part of their shop, they had a Santa come in and kids could sit in his lap and tell them what they wanted for Christmas... Knowing how kiasu our local kids are, you'd assume that they would all be clambering all over him right? NOT !!! None of our local kids had wanted to go sit in his lap! Some seemed afraid, some don't even seem to know who this big bellied man in red is.... The ang moh children were all excited and all wanted to sit on his lap. I mean, it was Santa!!! I wanted to sit in his lap, but with my bosom, it would have constituted as a lap dance and I surely would have been led away by our boys in blue....heh....

My point is, why not really tell our kids what Christmas is all about so that they may enjoy the WHOLE experience? Why not really share with our kids what Christmas is all about, the whole story about who St Nick is? Why not teach our kids to give meaningful gifts, not simply the most hip thing on the shelf today? It just saddens me that kids don't get what the whole gifts idea is all about, simply because their parents didn't take time out to explain it to them....

Luckily, I celebrate Hari Raya..... heh...

...........................................

While waiting for MBB to withdraw money, I saw Edmund Chen, munching on an apple. Then he turned around, NODDED his head and SMILED at ME!!!! A full bodied, 100 megawatt smile..... sigh..... for the first time, yours truly was star struck. Sigh..... He is so the very the handsome......

No comments: